The Triton Review

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Triton softball and baseball wrap season placing third in NWAC

The+EdCC+Triton+baseball+team+on+the+sidelines%2C+cheering+during+a+home+game.+The+team+won+plenty+of+NWAC+North+Region+All-Star+titles+during+the+season.+
The EdCC Triton baseball team on the sidelines, cheering during a home game. The team won plenty of NWAC North Region All-Star titles during the season.

Wilson Tsoi

Wilson Tsoi

Congratulations to this year’s Tritons softball and baseball teams! Within the rough and tumble NWAC North Region both teams placed third overall in the Championship Tournament. Each team played a historic season, with a new school-record 42 wins and 8 losses for the softball team. Tritons baseball notched 40 wins and 9 losses, tying their record for second most wins in school history.

The Tritons softball team began the tournament in Spokane with a double-header Saturday, May 19. First up was North Region rivals Highline College, followed by South Region Lower Columbia. The team employed Tritons brand softball as they scored an impressive 33 runs on 35 hits.

In the game against Highline, the Tritons pulled away quickly, closing out the Thunderbirds in just five innings with an overall score of 16-8. Lower Columbia only managed to make it to the seventh inning against our team for a final score of 17-10. The Tritons rang in a whopping nine runs in the second inning and never looked back.

With another win against North Region rival Everett (3-2) on Sunday, May 20, Edmonds moved to the winner’s bracket to face North Idaho later that day. Unfortunately the Cardinals came out on top, and placed the Tritons down into the loser’s bracket. Edmonds needed to win three straight games that following Monday to secure the title, but ultimately fell short.

The Tritons’ post-season eventually ended against Lower Columbia (1-7) on Championship Monday, May 21.

Despite the loss, the 2018 season was a remarkably successful run. Edmonds’ softball team took 3rd place overall in the NWAC and snagged a North Region title for the first time since 2004.  The team completed its best run in the championship tournament over the last two decades.

Tritons baseball found similar success.

Their postseason run began the following week, Thursday, May 24, in Longview, Washington. Stellar pitching and timely hitting propelled them past Big Bend College from the NWAC East Region (2-0). Freshman pitcher Will Smith for shutting out the Vikings until the seventh inning, allowing relief pitcher sophomore Lucas Ford to complete the victory.

Edmonds baseball managed to stay in the winner’s bracket and headed off against No. 1 East Region champs Yakima Valley Friday, May 25, but were defeated 0-2. The Tritons were forced to drop to the loser’s bracket, but bounced back after a 4-2 victory against rival Everett Saturday, May 26.

EdCC Tritons baseball fought gallantly until the end, but fell short of a victory against home team Lower Columbia Sunday night, May 27. The Red Devils upset the Tritons with  a 3-1 overall score.

Although both teams’ postseason run fell short of expectations, the softball and baseball teams accomplished plenty throughout their journeys.

“…baseball’s a crazy game,” said Tritons baseball head coach Scott Kelly during mid-season. During an interview, he spoke candidly about how easily the game ball can bounce against a team’s favor. Coach Kelly has found much success with his Tritons baseball teams over the past few years.

“…no matter how good we could be in that one day, there could be that one team that could just rise up, and that one day, and play their best, and beat us in that moment where it cost us a championship.

“But I don’t think that’ll define us, whether it’s that or not. I think, how we play, and how we prepare will define how this team ultimately ends the season.”

Special shout-out to sophomore pitcher Elliot Carney, declared best arm in the Northwest Athletic Conference. He was named NWAC Pitcher of the Year for the North Region. Carney finished the season leading the NWAC in strikeouts (96), and was second in innings pitched (89.3).

Sophomore outfielders Guthrie Morrison and Will Smith were named to the NWAC All-Tournament first team for their remarkable performances during the season. Lucas Ford was named to the second team.

The 2018 NWAC North Region All-Stars selected from the Tritons baseball team are freshman infielder Nick Sokol, Guthrie Morrison, freshman pitcher Wyatt Stanley, Will Smith, Lucas Ford, and sophomore catcher Nathaniel Sagdahl. 2nd team All Star nods go to sophomore infielder Evan Hurn, freshman short stop Yugo Hamakawa, and sophomore outfielder Conner Sayles

Nathaniel Sagdahl, Wyatt Stanley, and Guthrie Morrison have been named to the 2018 NWAC Golden Glove Team.

Congrats to head coach Scott Kelly for North Region’s coach of the year.

The Edmonds CC softball team had six players named to the NWAC North. Sophomore infielder Tamia Hirano, freshman infielder Chantelle Shimabukuro, freshman outfielder Kamalei Labasan, and freshman designated player Kalei Cacho-Kekahuna were tagged for first team all stars. Sophomore infielder Chasity Stalcup, and freshman outfielder Brooke Keli’iho’omalu placed second team for the Northern Region.

A round of applause for two-way stud sophomore pitcher Seli Aholelei in being named pitcher of the year for the NWAC North Region. She’s also been named to the NWAC All-American team, along with Chantelle Shimabukuro.

Congrats to softball head coach Sheryl Gilmore for the Northern Region’s coach of the year awards.

Contributors
Ray Alfonso, Sports Editor

Ray is an EdCC student, former staff writer, and current sports editor for The Triton Review.