EdCC instructor supports Art With a Heart

Art is a fantastic way of self-expression, but everyone has the opportunity to create or view pieces artwork. Edmonds Community College hosted a six by six workshop on October 12th to create art for children in Parkersburg, West Virginia, children who would typically not see art in their community. At this workshop, students were provided with six-inch by six-inch pieces of paper and a ton of art supplies to create whatever their hearts desired. Walking into the dim, rustic art room, about 20 college students and staff were hard at work on their soon-to-be masterpieces. 

“I knew that I really wanted to participate, even though I was all the way across the country,” said Monica James, a new art instructor here at EdCC. James organized this first-ever event here at the college which was inspired by her previous experience in West Virginia when living in Appalachia. “When I left, I was very sad. I had been working with the gallery, volunteering there, I was on the board,” James said, explaining how the Parkersburg Art Center had had six by six workshops before that which were very successful. 

“It was a great event. Because you’re donating, you’re giving to a good cause, so it touches on service learning a little bit. It’s a great way to give back.” James also explained how this art center was her home away from home when she lived there and that others have been positively impacted as she had. “So many of my students had their first experience in an art gallery, or making art at that art center” James explained.

The six-inch pieces of art that our fellow community members have created will be sent off to the Parkersburg art center. “We’re gonna ship a box to West Virginia, and they’re gonna put the work in the show, and all the pieces that are sold will benefit their education program,” James explained. 

An EdCC lab monitor, Matthew Clayton, expresses that this program should have been around sooner and wishes he had it growing up, “I kinda wish I got into art a lot earlier than I did. I wish I had somebody there to say, ‘Hey, look! This is totally awesome, let’s do this!’”

A study in 2011, known as “Reinvesting in Arts Education”, done with the Maryland school system, argues that being exposed to art at an early age can have a positive impact on other subjects, like math and reading. Thereby illustrating the importance of introducing art early on in education.  

Not only was the six by six art event an excellent opportunity for our community to provide art sources for a school in need, but was also a great opportunity for students to participate in a juried show, expand their resume, and get extra credit for the art classes offering. 

Jake Saul, a current student here at EdCC, explained how he attended the event to receive extra credit for his Art 111 class and to help raise money for the children in need. Saul spent all of his time on one specific piece to donate. “I’m kind of a perfectionist, so I’m gonna like really dial this in and get it to where I’m happy and satisfied with it,” Saul explains, “there are no finished paintings, only abandoned ones.” Saul then explains that this art event is for a great cause and he’s delighted to be involved in helping this school receive new art resources. 

Giving back to the Parkersburg Art Center was a very inspiring event that EdCC organized, an event that James hopes will continue as the years advance. 

It was important for me in my life when I was there; it’s kind of the only place that you can go to get a great experience with art in that community

— Monica James

The Parkersburg Art Center is a non-profit, non-government funded art center that offers art classes for all ages, a pre-school, has multiple community events regularly, and much more. This art center has been around since 1938 by members of the Parkersburg West Virginia Women’s Club, and to this day is known as West Virginia’s oldest art center. Donations for the Parkersburg Art Center are always accepted, and mostly help children who can’t afford art classes.

Statistics from City-Data show that in 2016 people living under the poverty level in Parkersburg, West Virginia was at 30.2 percent. That is nearly triple the average poverty line of the entire United States, according to studies by U.C Davis conducted in 2017. Communities like Parkersburg need all the support and contributions they can get, so events that help out are crucial for people to attend. Keep your eyes open for posters around our school to keep up to date on events that are happening every day.