The Student News Site of Edmonds Community College

The Triton Review

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Floyd Mayweather wins “The Money Fight” over Conor Mcgregor, retires at 50-0

Getty Images

Getty Images

On August 26, after a hard-fought nine rounds, Floyd “Money” Mayweather defeated Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) superstar Conor “The Notorious” McGregor by technical knockout in the tenth round.

The much anticipated boxing match had Mayweather as the projected winner, but McGregor surprised many by putting up a good fight. As Kevin Iole, boxing columnist for Yahoo Sports, put it: “He looked much like a seasoned boxer despite only training in the sport for about nine months.” The official scorecard was 87-83, 89-81 and 89-82 for Mayweather.

The beginning rounds showed McGregor in action, landing a swift uppercut followed by a left hook in the first round, setting the foundation for the next few rounds. Many, including the unofficial Showtime scoreboard, gave the first three rounds to him. Mayweather seemed to be much slower than usual, allowing many jabs to come through.

The next few rounds forced Mayweather to go on the offensive, which worked in his favor. Rounds four to seven were easily Mayweather’s as McGregor showed signs of being fatigued. Rather than a flurry in the middle of the eighth round, the rest of the fight was all Mayweather. In the tenth round Mayweather landed a straight right, wobbling McGregor and putting him up against the ropes as Mayweather landed two to three unprotected shots on the Irishman, ultimately leading to a stoppage.

Throughout the fight McGregor hit Mayweather with illegal shots on the back of the head, forcing the referee to break up the fight. This added fuel to the excitement and bizarreness of the match. This certainly was a fight for the ages, cementing a legend in the history books, and allowing an MMA megastar to do the impossible and go toe-to-toe with the best.

Although McGregor believed the referee put in an early stoppage, he was nothing but humble in

defeat, complimenting his opponent in the post-fight interview: “He [Mayweather] is not that powerful, but, boy, is he composed.”

Fortunately, McGregor fans can expect the young fighter back in action in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) before the end of the year. Unfortunately for Mayweather fans, this will be his last fight. Mayweather is the first professional boxer to retire with a record of 50-0.