The Student News Site of Edmonds Community College

The Triton Review

Netflix greenlights modern Archie adaptation

The new show has a noticeable change of atmosphere in comparison to the classic comic series

“Riverdale” is a teen mystery drama based on the classic Archie Comics series, now available on Netflix.

On the Fourth of July, following the death of one of the beloved and wealthy Blossom twins, the quiet town of Riverdale is thrown into a bizarre mystery. The show follows a group of students through the beginning of a new school year as they search for love, while the circumstances of what occurred that day in July are revealed little by little.

The cast includes a lot of new faces, such as KJ Apa as Archie Andrews, a teen caught up in writing music, playing football and working for his dad’s construction business. It also includes Lily Reinheart as the kind and sweet Betty Cooper, a young girl tired of being perfect for her mom, as a student, and as a sister. Camila Mendes plays Veronica Lodge, a mature and courageous young lady who becomes the new girl at Riverdale High. Cole Sprouse portrays Forsythe “Jughead” Jones III, an outsider who used to be best friends with Archie as well as the narrator of the series.

Marisol Nichols plays Hermione Lodge, Veronica’s mother who returned to Riverdale, and Madelaine Petsch plays Cheryl Blossom, a well-off, manipulative young woman who has just lost her brother. Mädchen Amick plays Alice Cooper, Betty’s controlling, perfectionist mother and editor of the local journal. Luke Perry portrays Frederick “Fred” Andrews, Archie’s father, who is the owner of a construction firm.

Rotten Tomatoes audiences rated this series an 83%, while the critics tomatometer rated it an 89%. The average episode rating score was at 93%. The Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus commented, “Riverdale offers an amusingly self-aware reimagining of its classic source material that proves eerie, odd, daring and above all addictive.”

Metacritic gave the series an average score of 67 out of 100. TV Line awarded the show a B+ and said, “Riverdale actually turned out to be an artfully crafted, instantly engaging teen soap with loads of potential.”

As soon as I started watching this teen drama I could not stop. I nearly binge-watched the whole series in two days! I would highly recommend others to watch this great TV show that keeps you on your toes the whole time.