The Triton Review

Filed under A&E

Riddling Cult Classic Twin Peaks Returns

Twede%27s+diner+in+Snoqualmie%27s+North+Bend+served+as+a+major+setting+during+the+original+filming+of+Twin+Peaks.+
Twede's diner in Snoqualmie's North Bend served as a major setting during the original filming of Twin Peaks.

Eran Kampf

Eran Kampf

Twin Peaks, the cult classic mystery drama which debuted in 1990, returned on May 21 with a four-episode release to the long-awaited season three.

The anticipation after the 25-year wait following season two was not unrewarded. The show received rave reviews from critics and audiences alike and introduced a whole new generation to the misty Pacific Northwest and paranormal horror.

The story of Twin Peaks follows the investigation of FBI Agent Dale Cooper into the sudden murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer. As the story unfolds, Cooper becomes acquainted with the charming-if-haunting town of Twin Peaks and its strange inhabitants, many of whom have been impacted by the death of Laura. Cooper also comes to learn that Laura, the town and the owls are not what they seem.

Once one of the top-rated series of 1990, Twin Peaks’ declining ratings led to its cancellation after season two. Nevertheless, the show gained a cult following, and has been listed multiple times as one of the best TV shows ever created, according to Rolling Stone, TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, and TIME Magazine.

The show has been largely defined by the directing of David Lynch, known for his surrealist approach to storytelling. The early show had equal parts satirical, overly dramatic romantic subplots and mysterious extra-dimensional demons who talk backwards.

Season three delivers everything audiences loved about Lynch’s reality-bending directing, plus some. The return of beloved characters (especially of Dale Cooper, played by Washington local and Portlandia actor Kyle MacLachlan) is melded with the introduction of new characters and actors, and the answers to mysteries leftover from previous seasons leave viewers with even greater questions.

Twin Peaks was certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with a 94% critics rating. People seem happily surprised at the change in pace from the old series. Neither a modernization that caters to the current standard for serialized dramas, nor a sad attempt at recreating note for note the aesthetic appeal of the original series, season three delivers with a full on charge into the unknown, and that’s what makes it so exciting.

Showtime critic Laura Miller stated, “The Twin Peaks reboot is not the fusion of arthouse and mainstream sensibilities that viewers might expect. It’s pure David Lynch—and it’s glorious.”

If you haven’t seen the show, I highly recommend going back to experience it, unless you’re uncomfortable with graphic sexual and physical violence, which in that case, definitely stay away. But if you don’t mind pulling through, the storytelling and characters deliver a truly unique experience.

Twin Peaks is available on Netflix and multiple other online media stores. You can watch new episodes on Showtime.

Contributors
Rel Konot, Editor-In-Chief
Rel Konot is an undergraduate student aiming to transfer to UW for a degree in Astrophysics. They have worked as a staff writer and copy editor for The Triton Review since 2016, and became Editor-in-Chief in summer of 2017. Their article GIRL RISING: The battle to get an education around the world for all women earned an honorable mention award from the Pacific Northwest Association of Journalism Education's (PNAJE) 2016 Student Journalism Contest. Rel is stepping down as Editor-in-Chief as of June 2018.

Feel free to contact them at: [email protected] or [email protected] Pronouns: They/Them