A Student’s Guide to Resources

All the FREE stuff you probably don’t know about

Shortly after publication we received several corrections about the information presented in this story. All of the areas where a correction is needed are denoted with an *, and the correct information can be found at the end of the article. Thank you to Charly Eaton for informing us about these issues.

One really needs to know the ins and outs of the Edmonds Community College campus to reap all of the benefits of being a student, but there’s no comprehensive list of everything students can get. This was my duty, my mission. I canvased the campus, my results are below.

There are many spots on campus that offer fixed items or services, but to get the  best bang for your unspent buck, you want events. Keeping up with these is easiest if you check in frequently with your EdMail and pay attention to the flyers posted on campus boards.

If you need help with academic planning, free advising and career counseling are available. ECEAP and Early Head Start provides free preschool to children from three months to five years old of low income families, and students who are parents may qualify for the BFET program, which can pay for childcare. If you are an international student, a veteran, undocumented, a first-generation college student, low-income, or have a disability, there are even more free resources available to you than the ones below, generally through a specific program.

Food

That’s a tricky one. For free food it’s generally best to catch an event in the courtyard where tables sometimes offer  goodies like cookies to entice students, or in Brier, adjacent to the cafeteria, where free candies and pens seem to be the lure of choice. A permanent place to get free food is the game room on the second floor of Brier, which offers free popcorn during all hours of operation. The campus Community Garden, however, exchanges free produce in exchange for your work helping on the farm. The food bank is available for low-income students, but if the food bank is closed, the Center for Student Cultural Diversity and Inclusion (Brier 154) can offer assistance to students in need, as well as menstrual products upon request. The Wellness Center (Lynnwood 236) offers free beverages.

Health

The Seaview Gym is open to everyone with an EdPass – basically, if you have an EdPass, you have a gym membership. Classes are also taught in the gym, though, so check their website to be sure the room you want (weight room, ball court) is open.

The Wellness Center, which provides condoms, menstrual products, beverages and a quiet, private place to sit and relax is located in Lynnwood 236. They offer many events tied to wellness, including free Tai Chi and HIV testing once every quarter. They are involved with many of the relaxing activities offered during finals week and midterms, all of which include free goodies and services.

The Counseling and Resource Center in Mountlake Terrace 145 offers free mental health services for all students. They have drop-in hours if you just need someone to talk to, and offer group sessions, but you can also get a set number of free sessions with a therapist or referrals to outside help.

The Center for Student Cultural Diversity and Inclusion also offers a quiet prayer/meditation space in Brier 154.

Tech Help

The START office in Lynnwood 305 is open Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. They specialize in assisting students with campus and school-related technology, such as Canvas, EdMail, Google programs, password resets and Wi-Fi connectivity. They also offer workshops on useful tech skills.

If they’re not open, go downstairs to Lynnwood 213. There, they can help you with all the same things. Additionally, they help with personal technology problems such as minor software issues, though they’re not allowed to actually touch your device for liability reasons. If you can’t get your Wi-Fi to connect and you don’t have a tech-savvy friend on speed dial, this is the place to go. In the Alderwood computer labs and the library there’s Academic Computer Services (ACS), who can help with printing, Wi-Fi, login, and even homework.

Software

Before buying an expensive software yourself, go to the library and ask if the software is available on one of the campus computers. The software you need may even be available for free or discounted through OnTheHub EdCC or Azure for Education, and Ninite also offers a list of open-source software for everyone.

Computer Labs & Laptop Checkout

There’s no shortage of computers on campus. Labs are in nearly every building, all accessible with your campus login.

If you need to check out a computer, though, you can do it from the Center for Student Cultural Diversity and Inclusion (Brier 154) or through the library, and can be used for up to four hours at a time.*

Textbooks

The library often has class textbooks on course reserve, where they can be checked out for 72 hours.* The Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion (Brier 154) offers quarter-long loans for textbooks.

Tutoring & Research Help

The Learning Support Center in Mukilteo 113 offers help with most levels of math and English, as well as an array of other subjects, whose tutors may only be available at specific times. You can stop in to see the schedule for your particular subject. All tutoring is drop-in, you just put your name and class up on the board and someone comes to help you.

The Stem Study Room in Snohomish 126 is helpful for anyone with STEM coursework of any level. Tutors, beverages, and cool whiteboard tables can help with questions.

The Math Tutoring Center in Mukilteo 207 has somewhat arcane hours, but is usually less crowded than the other tutoring centers.

Online tutoring is available to all students, instructions can be found at:

www.edcc.edu/lsc/eTutoring.html.

The librarians in the third floor of Lynnwood often assist students in finding sources for their papers.**

Entertainment

The Game Room, on the second floor of Brier, has seven different consoles, three flat screens, and dozens of games. The library also has an extensive fiction section and DVDs to check out, and has white board tables which you can draw on or use for your schoolwork.

Students can also sign up for various websites for free with their student emails, such as Kanopy, an on-demand streaming platform with an assortment of films and documentaries.

If you’re looking for something that involves interacting with people, there are a variety of clubs that students can join for free. Robotics, table tennis, bees, magic and skills, and dancing are just a few of the activities you can participate in by joining a club. There’s a club for virtually everyone, and if there isn’t, you can start your own and receive funding for it.

Printing and Copying

Students can copy for free in the library.**** Every quarter, a student with an EdPass gets $1.25 for printing. Printing is 5 cents per page for black and white and 15 cents to print in color. In the Center for Student Cultural Diversity and Inclusion in Brier 154, students can print for free, up to 10 pages a week.

Thank you to Diana Chernisky, Toan Nguyen and Beniam Eshetu for their assistance.

Corrections:

* The library’s course reserve items have checkout periods ranging from 2 hours to the entire quarter. 72 hours, however, is not an available loan period.

** While connecting students to academic sources is integral to the work of our librarians, it doesn’t capture the full scope of services they provide. Librarians also help students write citations, advise on copyright compliance, schedule study room reservations, and provide technical assistance with navigating library resources such as Kanopy.

*** In addition to providing laptops and Chromebooks for 4-hour loan periods, the library also provides some Chromebooks available for 24-hour checkouts.

**** Using the copy machines actually costs 10 cents per side. The complimentary $1.25 of printing may not be applied to the copy machine and students must pay with funds loaded onto their EdPass.

The library staff invites you to ask them or consult their website questions you have about the library’s resources.