Triton’s freshman goalkeeper is a “catch”

Playing the goalkeeper position is arguably the toughest to play in the sport of soccer. You are the last line of defense for your team. One mistake, and the momentum of the game can swing in the opponent’s favor.

On Saturday October 27, the Tritons won their game against playoff bound Peninsula Community College.

The Tritons were already eliminated from playoff contention before their matchup with second place Peninsula, but the Tritons still believed this was their time. Even as underdogs on their home field, Edmonds Community College pulled off the upset victory of 1-0.

The win concludes their roller coaster season as the Tritons finish fifth place in the Northwest Athletics Conference North standings with a final record of 5-10-3.

Freshman Goalkeeper Colin Hauser was a key factor in the Tritons coming out victorious. Denying shots left and right, he finished the day with five saves as he notched his fifth shutout of the season.

Hauser’s performance against Peninsula concluded his stellar freshman campaign where he  finished the season with 87 saves, which was second best in the NWAC overall. The Boise, Idaho native also added Triton of the Week honors to his resumé after his nine save shutout versus Everett on Oct.13.

The position requires athletic capability, reflexes, flexibility, and the ability to determine angles. These are skills that Hauser developed during his high school days in Boise, under the wing of his goalkeeper Coach, Grant Hamilton.

“Everything that I’ve known, and all of my techniques, everything from the way that I dive, and the way I play, what I look for, and the way that I talk on the field is due to him,” said Hauser.

“He means so much to me as a person, as a mentor.”

Communication is key to a team’s success in any sport, and in soccer, it starts with the goalkeeper. Hauser has been the most vocal player on the field throughout the season. When games are on the line, he communicates with the defense to get in position, and he always keeps his composure. “I’m the only one who can see the whole field,” said Hauser. “So I feel like I have to be very vocal.”

Hauser admitted that he wasn’t very vocal when he first started playing goalkeeper in high school. But through hard work, dedication, and the expert coaching from Hamilton, he developed into the talented player we were introduced to this year.

Surprisingly enough, in high school, Hauser was not being looked at by other colleges. But when coach Erkut got a chance to view his highlight tape, he knew Hauser would be a great addition to the Tritons. “I could see that he was a great athlete and a very focused goalkeeper,” Erkut said. “And he worked with a good goalkeeping coach, so I was very confident when he came.”

Through his stellar play, and excellent leadership, Hauser has been one of the key factors in the Triton’s finding more success this season. After going winless in the first five games of the season, EdCC made many decent strides in the right direction by shutting out five teams, and earning three wins in the month of October, which was more than they had all last season!

Although they reached their goal of making the playoffs, EdCC hasf high hopes of making the tournament next year as the Tritons will be returning with the majority of its roster.

Goalkeeping will remain a point of strength with Hauser returning for his sophomore season, and he will look to build off of dominant campaign he had as a freshman. “Colin is a great character. He’s growing, and I am very optimistic about his future,” said Erkut. “If he keeps it up, I’m confident he can go to any D1, D2 school, and we are working to get him there.”

If Hauser works hard and maintains his focus, there’s no telling how far he can go.