Apparently there are some honest politicians

(from left) Edmonds CC employees Lynne Rigoroso, executive assistant; Dan White, Paralegal instructor; Marie Tran, Business Management instructor; Wayne Anthony, director of the Center for Student Engagement and Leadership; Ethics Challenge team members Linh Tran, Maria French, Tri Minh Do, Natch Sriwongthai, and Naol Debele; Dr. Terry Cox, vice president of Workforce and Development and Training; Kathryn Wyatt, Boeing staff analyst; and Charles Ruthford, master of ceremonies.

Tara Pegasus, A&E Editor

EdCC student leaders won first place in the college’s fourth annual Ethics Challenge last month.

Associated Students of Edmonds CC Executive Board members Naol Debele, Tri Minh Do, Natcha Sriwongthai, Linh Tran and Maria French made up the winning team under the mentorship of Wayne Anthony, director of the Center for Student Engagement and Leadership.

Five teams competed to come up with solutions to ethics cases. They were allotted seven minutes to discuss a scenario and three minutes to present their results.

“Ethics are important to incorporate throughout your life,” French said.

“The challenge taught us how to recognize issues we might face and how to give others input and insight on the best ethical practices and how to apply them in a business setting.”

Charles Ruthford, former ethics officer at The Boeing Company, served as Master of Ceremonies.

Ruthford acknowledged the importance of students having a place to discuss ethical principles, ask questions and try out scenarios.

“The community college environment is a perfect place to do that,” Ruthford said. “It gives students the chance to have a practice field so when they get out into all elements of life they have some knowledge about what worked and what didn’t.”

The EdCC Workforce Development and Training and the Boeing Company sponsored the challenge.

Judges included Boeing employees Chris Foster, manager; Deb Mosshart, ethics advisor; Gunars Turaids, ethics advisor; and Kathryn Wyatt, staff analyst; Scott Eck, owner of Leadership Masters; Febyolla Goss, Edmonds CC student; and Chuck Loomis, Edmonds CC Business Division instructor.